SUBJECT: YMCA Suns Initial Team Information (Please Read)
My name is James Leath and I am your daughter's basketball coach. I will be reaching out with more information about practice and games shortly. Please respond with your best contact information (both parent's names, email and mobile phone).
A little about me…I am originally from Fresno. My bride and I moved here 3 years ago for work. I currently work for [insert company] as [insert title]. I am working on my masters in sports psychology with an emphasis on youth sports. I have coached multiple sports from elementary school to the semi-pro level over the past 20 years. We don't have any kids, though we have fostered in the past. I had a great run as an athlete and love passing on what I have learned through sports to the next generation.
My personal mobile number is (559) XXX-XXXX. Please use it to text me if for some reason your child won’t be at practice so I can plan accordingly. If they are going to miss a game, please, please let me know before our last practice that week so I can prepare the team.
Thank you for trusting me as your daughter’s coach.
PS: If you come to practice (and I hope you do) do not be surprised if I toss you into a drill to join the fun (and help me out a bit).
- Subject: Be specific in your email title, and always include the team name in the title so it is easily searchable. Do not use the same email title every time.
- A little about me… Talk about things like where you are from, if you played sports, why you are coaching, etc.
- My personal phone number: Text messaging is the best way to communicate with parents these days. Save their information in your phone. I usually save the number as “Taylor’s Mom” or something of that nature.
- Practice and Games: I use Google gmail and calendar, as it is the most widely used (in my experience). I update it with practice dates, times, and locations then share it with the parents.
- Rules : Try and get a PDF copy of the rules, attaching it to this initial email.]
- Tip: Be sure to call within a day or two to introduce yourself. Many parents will not have gotten to your email, but at least they will have the information to refer to.